Monday, July 4, 2011

Arrival


Monday July 4th.

It is the 4th of July, America’s Independence Day.  I have just arrived at the Taj Mahal Hotel in New Delhi.  I do not quite feel as though I am in India yet-- smiling women in beautiful saris draped jasmine flower garlands around our necks as we entered the posh, air conditioned hotel lobby and attentive men in uniforms offered us cold juice and insisted on taking our bags.  I am currently sitting in my impeccably clean, ornamented room, with soft music playing in the background (I reeeeeally hope I can turn it off before going to bed…)  But the reality of being in India is starting to sink in, and I am very excited.  As I exited the airport terminal, I was enveloped by the Delhi heat.  Soon after, I recognized a very familiar scent.  I can’t quite place it; it is vaguely sulfurous, and also a bit sweet.  All I know is that I haven’t experienced that scent since my last time in India, and I was so excited to smell it again!  Anyway, more later.  I need to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment